Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Brazilian Market

One of the many wonders of Brazil is the open air markets that can be found in nearly every city of the country. They can vary quite a bit, but the one we found in downtown Recife was a good find. Like all markets here (including some supermarkets) it was inhabited by many flies and a few dogs and cats, but besides those small details it was filled with fresh fruits that can only be found in tropical climates like Brazil. Let's get to the tour!


Here I am pointing to one of my favorite fruits here that is hard to find anywhere non-tropical, the Maracuja (Passion-fruit). It is normally not eaten plain, but in juices and desserts. Anything with Passion-fruit in it is known to put you to sleep, and let me tell you I know from experience that this is the truth!


In my right hand here I am holding an avocado. This is actually one of the smaller ones, they can get to be a lot bigger than this and they are absolutely delicious. They love to make a avocado smoothie that is very good as well, one that I have made for my family before. In my left hand is a graviola. This is a fruit that I have never seen anywhere outside of Brazil (one of the many). I looked it up online to see if there was a translation to English, but I couldn't find one. It is another fruit used mainly for juice.


A kindly old gentleman who let us try a few of his more unusual fruits. In this photo he is fixing his moustache for the picture!


The entrance to the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment