Friday, July 29, 2011

Salvador, Bahia (Day Three)

It was our last day in Salvador, and I'd like to think we went out on top. Yesterday my friend Logan and I were walking along the street and a woman came up to us offering to take us on a day long boat trip the next day. We got her number, Vanessa set it up, and we went on the tour today. We left in the morning at about 9 o’clock and got back in the afternoon at 5. The trip we took today was one of the favorite things I have done so far on the study abroad. The boat took us to two different islands close to the coast here. It took about two hours to get to the first island, called Ilha dos Frades. This was an absolutely beautiful paradise, with only 60 people who live on it (all of which are family I found out later). I really enjoyed exploring the island with Nick and our friend Jaron. We went on a long hike through the jungle and were able to see some beautiful sights of the island and the ocean. The second island we went to was a little less amazing, but it was still beautiful. I went on a horse-back ride that was offered to me by a native on the beach for 7 reais (about 4 dollars). He just had me get up on it and learn on the run, which was a little scary for me. I think I might have ridden a horse in the past, but I don’t remember it really. The thing really had a mind of its own and I was scared it was going to buck me off or take off or something, but thankfully I lived to tell the story. It was a great experience to go horse-back riding on a beautiful, tropical, Brazilian island. As fun as the islands were, I think my favorite part might have been the boat ride. They gave us free fruits, and provided a live Samba band. This was A LOT of fun! I really enjoyed the music, and I went up to the front to dance in front of everybody with Nick. We did some Samba dancing, and we taught everybody an American move called the “Dirty Bird” (translated to Pomba Suja). The band members as well as a man who came up to the front with us proceeded to do our dance move for the rest of the trip. There was about five other times after that when they called me to come back up to the front and by the end of the trip pretty much everybody on the boat knew my name. Basically it was just a great time. This was our last day in Salvador, and I absolutely loved it here. I loved the Baihanos (people from the state of Bahia). They love to joke around and have a fun time, which I discovered first hand on the boat today. It is definitely a place that I would like to come back to someday with Camilia and be able to spend some more time here.



This was the road that went up to our hotel, we had a beautiful view. This was on our way to the big adventure.


Nick and I kickin it with the Samba band before we got our groove on.


Thizz-facin it, that's nasty!


This was our boy trying the Dirty Bird after we taught him, he was a lot of fun to watch!


He's getting the tail feather going in this one.


Dirty-Bird 101 instructors, offering lessons nightly.


Getting some of the delicious fruits that were being passed out.


On the boat, arriving at our first island.


About to go up some stairs of death for the view of a lifetime. 


The top of the stairs with a view of the beach and the bay.


On the only street on the island in front of one of the only houses.


Starting on our adventure hike through the jungle. I love these trees with vines hanging down, they are really cool.


On the wild trail!


The island reminded me a lot of the island in Jurassic Park, it looked just like it. 


Arriving at the dock on the second island. 



Giddy up partner!!


Relaxing a bit on the ride back home.


Arriving back home in the bay.


Behind me is a fort in the middle of the bay.


Right after we arrived with our faithful boat behind me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment