Sunday, July 3, 2011

Pro Soccer Game

This week we got to do something that I have wanted to do since I got to Brazil, that is go to a professional soccer game! I can now so that I have truly experienced Brazil. Almost our entire group went with Tiago to see the local team called Sport Recife play a home game in their stadium. The stadium and the atmosphere were electric. We sat in the section that wasn’t quite as crazy, but it was still pretty wild. The craziest section stood up and jumped up and down, playing drums and screaming songs the whole game. Our team won 2-0, and when they scored their goals the stadium absolutely erupted. It was a lot of fun, and I’m really glad I got to go. I can now say that I am a die-hard Sport Recife soccer fan!



Nick and I with the stadium and field behind us. We felt like it was only appropriate to buy some cheap jerseys outside on the street before the game. We did some bartering to talk him down from his original price, so we got them for about 10 american dollars. They are far from original jerseys, they are certainly counterfeits, but that is why they were so cheap. The official jerseys are way out of our price range, so it was good to get these and blend in a little with the crowd. Wearing the right team's jersey is also a good way to make sure you don't get messed up by a crazy fan, so it was definitely a good investment. It was cool to feel like we were a part of the madness!


Nick and I with our "host Dad" Raphael, also referred to as Tiago.


The group in the stands with the "loucos".


This is a picture of the players out there on the field. On the opposite side of the stadium you can see the section of the crazies that I was talking about. In this picture you can see the huge flag that they pulled up, it was sweet to see it go up slowly from the bottom to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment