Saturday, June 25, 2011

Festas Juninas/ Festas de São João

I had my first real experience with a Festa Junina (June Festival), otherwise known as a Festa de São João (Festival of Saint John). This kind of party is in recognition of the birth of Saint John the Baptist. It is a festival that is especially popular and celebrated the Northeast of Brazil (where Recife is located). These parties have been a Brazilian tradition since the Portuguese brought them here as early as the year 1500. There are many traditions that are a part of a Festa Junina, including celebration of rural life through music and Forro or Quadrilha dancing, dressing up as farmers or hicks with straw hats, painted on freckles and typical food. I attended one such party on my mission in Cachoeiro de Itapemirim, but I obviously was not able to participate in the way I was able to this time. The party was located in a city about 2 hours away by bus, called Carpina. When we arrived there, the atmosphere was ecstatic to say the least. Everybody there was excited to party (most people get Thursday through Sunday off from work and school). There was a big stage with a band playing music for people to dance to, and many food stands selling treats and drinks. We were there for a few hours, and it was a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and liked being able to experience this cultural aspect of Brazil and particularly this region of the country like I never have before. Like I mentioned earlier, we didn’t get home until 4 o’clock, and I didn’t get to sleep until about 5. But, it’s as they say: “When in Brazil, do as the Brazilians do.”


Nick and I with Fernanda (our host) and our teacher from BYU Vanessa Fitzgibbon.


Me with the concert and party in the background. We got hooked up with a VIP Box to look down at everything, but we went down to get a taste of the action as well.


Putting our american flair into the Brazilian culture. Now we just need to teach them how to Jimmer.


Some of the typical hats that they wear at the celebrations.


The artist playing forro music with dancers dancing forro. (Pronounced foe-ho)

The next day we went to another Festa Junina, the following pictures are from that.



Nick and I posing with two different bands playing typical music of the holiday.


A young couple on stage of the concert dancing forro.

No comments:

Post a Comment